CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

News Main Menu 

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
News, Current Events & Politics
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : News, Current Events & Politics
Message Icon Topic: Ok to charge British Cricket Fans more? Post Reply Post New Topic
Poll Question #20: Is it okay to charge British C
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [7.27%]
4 [7.27%]
43 [78.18%]
1 [1.82%]
3 [5.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Online Status: Offline

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Topic: Ok to charge British Cricket Fans more?
    Posted: 24†Nov†2003 at 6:41pm

West Indies Cricket Board Defends Higher British Ticket Prices

by Scott M. Stolz, CaribbeaChoice.com/news

The West Indies Cricket Board has defended its decision to charge English Cricket fans more than Caribbean Fans.  In England, tickets that usually cost US$300 per match (£175) per test match will now cost around US$560 (£330), while the same ticket sold in the Caribbean will be considerably less than that.

New Century Marketing, the marketing company responsible for selling the tickets in England said that they increased the price due to strong demand and that "it is bringing the price of tickets in the West Indies in line with what it obtains in the rest of the world."

The West Indies Cricket Board said that the additional "levy" will be used to upgrade cricket facilities in preparation for the 2007 World Cup, which it is hosting.

Should the West Indies Cricket Board and New Century Marketing charge British fans more than other fans?

Please vote in our poll and discuss.

Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Duck Sauce
Administrator
Administrator

pirate-flag-small.gif, 0 kB

Quote Duck Sauce Replybullet Posted: 29†Nov†2003 at 1:25am
It's not fair.  It should be the same price everywhere.
"One person can make a difference, one person can change the world, but you must choose to do so. You must make the future or others will make it for you." -J. Michael Straczynski
IP IP Logged
Joseph
Senior Staff
Senior Staff
CaribbeanChoice.com Inc. Staff

Jamaica.gif, 1 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote Joseph Replybullet Posted: 15†Dec†2003 at 9:58am
If they base this on the average Income earned where the ticket price is increased, in comparison to the lower price charged where the average Income  is lower. This could make a viable argument.
Joseph Miller
CaribbeanChoice.com Staff
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 15†Dec†2003 at 8:15pm

Originally posted by Joseph

If they base this on the average Income earned where the ticket price is increased, in comparison to the lower price charged where the average Income  is lower. This could make a viable argument.

That would probably be fair if they actually did base it on income, but I seriously doubt they did that.

More likely, and they even stated so, that it was based on a high demand.  Since there seems to be a high demand for the tickets in England, they can get away with charging more.

I've seem many sporting teams do this, even in their home market.  When they get really popular and everyone wants tickets, the prices start going up.  After awhile the average family can't afford a ticket to the game anymore. 

Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Harvey

United-Kingdom.gif, 0 kB

Quote Harvey Replybullet Posted: 16†Dec†2003 at 4:41am

I'm an England fan currently on tour in Sri Lanka. I also did the tour of Bangladesh, and I've had plenty of time to discuss the WICB's racist ticket scam with other England supporters. In Bangladesh I only spoke to one person who was intent on buying the rip-off tickets. In Sri Lanka I've spoken to none, and there are far more of us out here than in Bangladesh.

England cricket fans come from all walks of life, and the West Indies was already by far the most expensive tour for us. For most of us, following even the cheaper cricket tours means working long hours for the rest of the year and making big sacrifices in terms of lifestyle when we're at home. It certainly means too, that when we're on tour, we have to travel on a tight budget. I was only going to be able to afford to do Trinidad out of the four Windies Tests, but the ticket rip-off means that I won't now be going. To put the prices into perspective, it is possible to do the entire tour of Sri Lanka (including flights, transport, accommodation, food, drink, and visa extension) for less than the price of the tickets for the 4 WI v England Tests! What's more, if you succeeded in keeping a tight rein, you would even have enough left for tickets to all 5 days of England v New Zealand at Headingly in 2004. New Zealand and Sri Lanka are I believe currently ranked above WI in the ICC Test table, too!

There will undoubtedly be holidaymakers, and those wealthy England fans with more money than sense who will still cough up the cash. These will be the ones travelling with foreign-owned tour groups staying in the big internationally owned hotels, eating in the big internationally owned restaurants, contributing little to locally owned businesses, driving up prices for local people, and generally distorting the economy with their reckless spending. The real losers in this will be the small guesthouse owners, shopkeepers, and the locally owned (and locally priced) restaurants.

It is the real, loyal, dedicated cricket fans with smaller incomes (or simply stronger principles and more self-respect) who will be staying away from this tour. The damage this rip-off is doing to the game of Test cricket as a spectator sport is immeasurable. So is the damage being done to the reputation of the WICB. Expect this PR disaster to increase tenfold if the few hundred England fans expected to travel without tickets aren't allowed in with locally priced ones. The resultant scenes will be broadcast across the world. Many had booked non-refundable flights before the WICB announced their discriminatory policy. These people are extremely angry and in no mood to compromise. If they don't get to watch the cricket, I suspect Carribbean tourism will have to kiss goodbye to these customers forever. I suspect that those thousands of us who are staying away this time will also think very carefully about whether we want to visit a place where it's apparently legal to discriminate against us. Such a policy would almost certainly be against the law in England. 

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version