CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Friday, February 28, 2020 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Religion, Theology & Spirituality
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Religion, Theology & Spirituality
Message Icon Topic: Are you the same religion you were taught? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
Poll Question #81: Are you the same religion you were taught?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [26.67%]
2 [13.33%]
5 [33.33%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Online Status: Offline

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Topic: Are you the same religion you were taught?
    Posted: 16†Sept†2005 at 4:24am

Are you the same religion you were taught as a kid?

Many of us were raised in a certain religion because of our family or our culture.  Often you were taught a specific denomination or sect of a religion.  Are you still following the same religion & denomination, or now that you are older, have you changed religion or denomination within your religion?

For example, I was raised as a Baptist but what the preacher said just didn't seem to click for me and didn't seem to make sense.  Perhaps they preached too much fire & brimstone and "you're going to hell" and not enough love, and that was not what I imagined a good, loving, compassionate God to be.  Now that I am older and have been exposed to a variety of information, I consider myself a spiritual being and my beliefs are influenced by a variety of religions and things that I have seen that are self-evident.

Share with us whether you are the same religion/denomination/sect and why or why not.

Edited by Scott - 16†Jan†2010 at 12:49am
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
alsosweet
Landlubber
Landlubber

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote alsosweet Replybullet Posted: 16†Sept†2005 at 8:28am

As a child my parents attended the local Catholic church. I always attended church with them. I even beame an altar boy.  However, when I embarked on a personal reading of the Bible, i recognized that what I was in the Bible and what was taught at church were total opposites. Jesus taught his followers to love their neighbors, yet the church cast their blessings upon wars. The Bible says God is One and the church teach that there are three gods in one. Things did not make sense. So, I decided to leave until I found a group of people who shared the things that I had come to understand and appreciate from the Bible. I found that among Jehovah's Witnesses. 

IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 16†Sept†2005 at 10:43am

Sounds like you have gone on your own spiritual journey.  I applaud you on that.  Some people dismiss God all together when their religion did not make sense, yet you kept searching until you found something that did.  

By the way, you forgot to vote.

Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 16†Sept†2005 at 2:48pm
Christened a Catholic, made First Communion, Confirmed and will die a Catholic.
IP IP Logged
ilam96
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Belize.gif, 0 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote ilam96 Replybullet Posted: 16†Sept†2005 at 6:10pm
u didn't vote either sandra, but i was like alsosweet, born catholic, but as i discovered the bible i found some things weren't right, more like the images they keep and confessions to another human being and i left the catholic church and studied with different denominations until i found one that didn't conflict itself, and as much as people denounce them, its people that are corrupt and not the doctrines of the Jehova Witness.
"I cried because I had no shoe, until I met a man with no feet."
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 19†Sept†2005 at 7:31am
Yes, I voted.
IP IP Logged
scrolljoe
Boatswain
Boatswain

Guyana.gif, 1 kB

Quote scrolljoe Replybullet Posted: 20†Sept†2005 at 9:14am

I was brought up in a home that embrased christian values and was non denominational . Latterly my mom went back to the church of her forefathers...the Congregational body....I followed and so did my family as years progressed. When living in Montreal I became a Baptist as there were no closeby Congregational churches. My years in New York saw me embracing Unity and if I were to be analytical about my 'drifting' I'd say that deep within I was searching for an understanding of What I am as against Who I am...I found that in Unity. My return home has found me God centered..and I do not now embrace Christianity as the guiding light.

IP IP Logged
alsosweet
Landlubber
Landlubber

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote alsosweet Replybullet Posted: 20†Sept†2005 at 9:47am

sandra's quote: Christened a Catholic, made First Communion, Confirmed and will die a Catholic.

Hi sandra,

I have heard many people say the same thing. However, I encourage you to look into the Bible yourself and then make a comparison between what you have read and what the church teaches. For example, consider Exodus 20:1-6.

scrolljoe's quote: and I do not now embrace Christianity as the guiding light.

Hi scrolljoe,

What has caused you to abandon being follower of Christ?

IP IP Logged
scrolljoe
Boatswain
Boatswain

Guyana.gif, 1 kB

Quote scrolljoe Replybullet Posted: 20†Sept†2005 at 11:20am

What has caused you to abandon being follower of Christ?

In answer to your question I would say that I don't think I was ever a follower of Christ..I believed and pracitsed certain Christian principles...as did his disciples who ,by the way, physically followed him. As a person of colour I do not see Christianity as the solution the our problems..in short I think if your life is programmed around allegories your destiny would be nothing more that story. If on the other hand you seek the truth and get on that frequency with the Father you'll be in better shape and your destiny would be praiseworthy...you'll be a beacon and your light will shine. Hope that satisfies your curiosity. Peace.

IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 07†Dec†2006 at 6:51pm
Great..I was born catholic , i did everything what a good Catholic must do. Going to church till one  day, someone  in the church told me..Heyyy,that's my place my nameplate is market here,Eyes%20Crazy Well I told her, this  is the House of God, and  I  think  you have  to take  your nameplate back and put it on your  frontdoor. And after that, I was going  only on X-mas eve's to the church. Dry

Edited by vutjebal - 07†Dec†2006 at 8:06pm
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version