CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Thursday, April 25, 2019 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Religion, Theology & Spirituality
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Religion, Theology & Spirituality
Message Icon Topic: Should We obey an unjust Law or Command Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Online Status: Offline

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2006 at 7:53pm
okay  this  is  for  vutjebal...Censored...........Wink
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
frankster
Mate
Mate

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote frankster Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2006 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Scott

Originally posted by frankster

Originally posted by world42

If the Bible were written today, it would still have the same message from God preaching love and peace and how to live a better life, but would sound different because of a different culture and history, yet the truths would remain the same.

How can you be so sure after having called in to question the accuracy and authenticity of bible , on what now do you base these assertions of what Gods message would or will be ?

I am not sure what world42's answer will be and I am not sure what world42 said is totally accurate, but as for me, I do know in my limited study of religion that somehow goodness and love keep resurfacing in the message... in every religion.

Its part of the reason why I am convinced that there is a higher power.  Call it God, call it the Universe, call it Allah, call it Love, call it Bob.  It doesn't really matter.  Something universal is there that spans all races, religions and creeds.

Me, I try to guide myself with unconditional love, which is an aspect of what I call God.  When I do that, everything seems to fall in place and the right think is done at the right time and the right place.  Even if it doesn't appear that way at the time.
[/QUOTE]

Their is a vein of truth in what you have sad , but it does not address the question  .
IP IP Logged
frankster
Mate
Mate

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote frankster Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2006 at 1:21pm
vutjebal
okay frankster...just one  question ..What do you want  to ashieve with your Hate towards  God.???/

Why is my question seen by you as hatred towards God ?

I don't read  the Bible....but I believe in myself  and my feelings for  nature and that there is a Higher Power,

We have the right to believe whatever we choose

but  I don't  believe in coincidence..(there is always a reason why things happens)  

Its the true nature of of that higher power , that I am desirous of knowing ?

and  I  never never  in my life  upto now , know what is  Hate... someone or something. I  don't like to use that word neither.Shocked
But  oops ...the way you came forth with your meaning towards God...Confused

If you never knew hate how were you able to feel or see it in my query ?
As far as I know uptil know I have yet to accuse God of anything , all I have done is ask an hypothetical question .

Edited by frankster - 29 Dec 2006 at 1:22pm
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2006 at 12:01pm

Its the true nature of of that higher power , that I am desirous of knowing ?

The problem with that question is that you can never get an accurate answer from a human about that.

In my experience, in talking with people of various religions and visiting various churches, synagogues, and temples, most people describe God in terms they understand and in terms they are familiar with, and often attribute their own personal and cultural ideals on what God is and isn't.  You ask 1,000 people what God is, and you get 1,001 different answers.  You could even go on to say that perhaps some people "create" God in their own image instead of discovering what God really is.

Personally, I would not follow a cruel and punishing God.  And it is interesting that you should describe God as potentially being a cruel God based on things you have read or heard.  I dealt with the same issue growing up.  The churches I grew up in preached fire and brimstone, and described a punishing God who will condemn you to@#$%if you don't do as He commanded.  I refused to follow such a God.  I would only follow a loving, supporting God, not an angry, punishing God who enjoys punishing people for their sins.

The preacher's sermons actually drove me away from God instead of towards Him.

The question I asked of God was this:  "What is the truth?" 

I did not ask to be a better Christian.  I did not ask to be a better follower.  I asked God for the truth.  And over the next few years, I had many experiences that helped me to see what the true nature of God is and the true nature of religion is.  I discovered that they are not always aligned.

I do not claim to know the truth, and perhaps what is different about me compared to many others is I know that I do not have the whole truth.

But the God I eventually found was the God that was always there, though misrepresented by most humans.  God is far more loving and forgiving and supportive than we can even imagine.

May your search reveal to you what you need to see.
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
frankster
Mate
Mate

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote frankster Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 6:52am

[/QUO

The problem with that question is that you can never get an accurate answer from a human about that.

The extent of the accuracy I seek is the conception of him that is held in earnest by us humans and from whence it is derived .

In my experience, in talking with people of various religions and visiting various churches, synagogues, and temples, most people describe God in terms they understand and in terms they are familiar with, and often attribute their own personal and cultural ideals on what God is and isn't.  You ask 1,000 people what God is, and you get 1,001 different answers.  You could even go on to say that perhaps some people "create" God in their own image instead of discovering what God really is.

This is expected and that is what I seek of each individual poster . Even though each individual idea of God is different what they share in common is often time more than how they differ .

Personally, I would not follow a cruel and punishing God.

The most vile and cruel of human being shares your sentiments , yet they often say it is the same God most human worship that tells them or on whose behave the do their most dastardly deeds

And it is interesting that you should describe God as potentially being a cruel God based on things you have read or heard.  I dealt with the same issue growing up.  The churches I grew up in preached fire and brimstone, and described a punishing God who will condemn you to@#$%if you don't do as He commanded.  I refused to follow such a God.  I would only follow a loving, supporting God, not an angry, punishing God who enjoys punishing people for their sins.

It is your right and privilege to do as you choose to believe .

The preacher's sermons actually drove me away from God instead of towards Him.

The question I asked of God was this:  "What is the truth?" 

I did not ask to be a better Christian.  I did not ask to be a better follower.  I asked God for the truth.  And over the next few years, I had many experiences that helped me to see what the true nature of God is and the true nature of religion is.  I discovered that they are not always aligned.

I do not claim to know the truth, and perhaps what is different about me compared to many others is I know that I do not have the whole truth.

But the God I eventually found was the God that was always there, though misrepresented by most humans.  God is far more loving and forgiving and supportive than we can even imagine.

May your search reveal to you what you need to see.

Love - the search goes on
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 10:39am

Personally, I would not follow a cruel and punishing God.
The most vile and cruel of human being shares your sentiments , yet they often say it is the same God most human worship that tells them or on whose behave the do their most dastardly deeds

People often do what they want to do and use God to justify it.  Slavery was justified as being okay with God by slave owners, for example.

I am not one of those who do that.  I follow one guiding principle in life:  Do no harm and live with love.

What that has to do with God, I am not sure.  I would hope He agrees.
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
frankster
Mate
Mate

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote frankster Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2007 at 7:32am
[QUOTEScott]Personally, I would not follow a cruel and punishing God.The most vile and cruel of human being shares your sentiments , yet they often say it is the same God most human worship that tells them or on whose behave the do their most dastardly deeds[/QUOTE]
People often do what they want to do and use God to justify it.  Slavery was justified as being okay with God by slave owners, for example.

This true ! but how where they able to do this justification ? was it validated and legitimatize by the bible to which they turn for guidance as the express written  will of God

I am not one of those who do that.  I follow one guiding principle in life:  Do no harm and live with love.

Yes , but would you kill a chicken to live ? If so are'nt you harming the chicken ? Or is it that your guiding principal only extends to humans ?
Dont tell ....You are a vegetarian or vegan ?

depends on your conception of God ?

Edited by frankster - 15 Jan 2007 at 7:34am
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2007 at 8:52am

This true ! but how where they able to do this justification ? was it validated and legitimatize by the bible to which they turn for guidance as the express written  will of God

You need to talk to a Bible scholar on that one.  But as far as I can tell, people take things out of context and use them to justify their own actions.

Example:  If I said "He said, you are a big fat liar" and then you took the words "He said" away, it would change the meaning, right?  Well, that is what a lot of people to do the Bible, the Koran, the Torah, and other Holy Books.

Yes , but would you kill a chicken to live ? If so are'nt you harming the chicken ? Or is it that your guiding principal only extends to humans ?
Dont tell ....You are a vegetarian or vegan ?

As far as being vegan, I think that humans are unique is that they actually have a choice to be vegan or meat-eaters.  Animals, on the other hand, do not have that choice.  Either they eat plants or they eat meat.  I think if God or the universe thought eating meat was bad, then there wouldn't be so many animals that eat meat on the planet.  We actually have a choice in the matter, and I am not going to knock anyone's choice.

depends on your conception of God ?

True.  Or your concept of the universe and good and evil.

Edited by Scott - 15 Jan 2007 at 9:18am
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
frankster
Mate
Mate

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote frankster Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2007 at 1:55pm
SO you would kill the chicken ?
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2007 at 5:13pm
I'm not a vegetarian.  So, yes, I would eat chicken.  I would not do anything that would prolong the suffering of the chicken and I would get no satisfaction from the chicken dying, and I would prefer to not kill the chicken myself, but chickens are eaten by a lot of animals, including humans.  That is actually part of the normal workings of the universe.  Just ask any fox in the hen house.  Even ask the chicken who knows the fox will eat them.  Chickens are food.  If humans didn't eat them, some animal would.

As far as doing harm to others and the universe, eating a chicken is not doing harm.  Neither is eating deer.  In fact if a deer population is overpopulated, what you get is starving deer since there is more deer than deer food.  And, for the deer, starving to death is a far worse death than being shot.

So, on one level, doing no harm applies to humans, where one would do nothing intentionally to harm another.  Humans are held to a higher standard when dealing with other humans (at least in the modern days) and I think that should continue and be observed.  In fact, if you look throughout history, man has not always treated other man very well, and even ate, enslaved, murdered and raped other humans.  I think we should treat each other better than that.

On the other hand, we also have a responsibility to take care of the planet and universe we reside in.  And a human eating a chicken is not doing harm to the universe, just like the fox eating the chicken is not doing harm to the universe.  The chicken may argue otherwise, but in the overall scheme of things, it does no harm, in fact in benefits the fox who now has food.

Like it or not, the universe is setup with a food chain.  We happen to currently be on top.  (Depending on your belief about Darwin and dinosaurs, etc., we may not have always been at the top of the food chain.)  So I have no problem eating a chicken and I thank God we are at the top of the food chain.

Also, I seriously doubt we were meant to be vegetarian, considering that our bodies need protein, which is not found in most vegetables.  Yes, some vegetables have protein in it, but prehistoric man would have starved if they only ate certain foods that may or may not have been available to them.  Vegetables with protein were often unavailable to prehistoric man except in certain regions.  Modern man has the luxury to chose to be vegan, prehistoric man had no choice... eat what was available or die.

If someone wants to be come vegan, I fully support their choice.  But it is a choice, and is not necessarily how all humans have to be.
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version