CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Monday, April 22, 2019 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Religion, Theology & Spirituality
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Religion, Theology & Spirituality
Message Icon Topic: Should We obey an unjust Law or Command Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6
frankster
Mate
Mate

Online Status: Offline

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote frankster Replybullet Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Scott

So you are saying all humans should be vegetarian?

I am not a vegetarian

Arent vegetables  living things ?
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by frankster

I am not a vegetarian

Aren't vegetables  living things ?

True.  Then what use is the argument that eating meat is akin to believing in slavery?

I can see your slippery slope argument and see what you are getting at.

But that is the problem of extreme positions.  After awhile they just get ridiculous.

So basically you are saying that people who eat chicken believe in slavery just because they eat chicken?
NO !  it would be more accurate to say that I believe that believe who practise cruelty against one form of life is more likely to practise it against other forms of life

I would believe that people who are cruel to one form of life would potentially be cruel to other humans.  After all, they are cruel, so its pretty likely cruel people will be cruel.

But you seem to lump all people who eat chickens into the category of being cruel.  That is a very broad and inaccurate assessment.

I would never kill a chicken personally and would get no pleasure from doing so.  So I do not see how I am cruel for eating chicken.  Unless you think eating any living thing is cruel, which is a bit extreme.

If for the sake of your own survival , you deny the chicken its right to live , then are you not operating by law of Jungle . In which the strong and mighty is right and can do no wrong when it comes to the weak and defenseless .

Soon the same law will be applied in other sphere of your activity .

Hence the reason why most who believe in a biblical type conception of God are often times very violent and cruel people , as it is commonly accepted that their God will punish those who are deemed evil in the end .

Do not deny your humanity , cause in that denial you become blind to the evil you do in the name of GoOd .

I am human and I have made certain decisions about how I conduct life.  I made a promise to myself that I would never intentionally harm another person.  This promise has nothing to do with whether I eat meat, whether I am a Christian or not, or even whether I am Black or not.  I made a decision on how I would live life.

Now, I cannot vouch for others.  You may be right that there is a slippery slope where some people may start treating humans like chickens, but I think that falls into the category of extremists.  And you have extremists at both ends.

You could go down the route that humans are animals and therefore its okay to treat them like animals and therefore enslave them or even eat them... or you could go down the route that animals are just like humans and should be treated like humans and not eat them and give them more rights.  Those are the two ends of the extreme points of view.

Personally I will not entertain extreme ideas because I believe the truth lies somewhere in between.

What you describe is the extremists.  I happen to not be one of those.  I am not perfect, but I try to stay balanced.

And I can only vouch for myself.  What others believe and do, that is what they do, not what I do.

I think it really comes down to the promise I made to myself a long time ago, after being hurt and seeing other people be hurt.  I promised to never harm another human being.  It is that promise that I hold myself account to.  And if I do not keep that promise, then I am not being true to myself.
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
world42
Mate
Mate

pirate-flag-small.gif, 0 kB

Quote world42 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2007 at 11:10pm
<sarcasm>Yes, we should follow the unjust law or command since the reward in heaven will be worth it.  I want my 17 virgins, @#$% it.</sarcasm>
IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2007 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by world42

<sarcasm>Yes, we should follow the unjust law or command since the reward in heaven will be worth it.  I want my 17 virgins, @#$% it.</sarcasm>
...OMG
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2007 at 1:21am
Eek
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
frankster
Mate
Mate

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote frankster Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 10:59am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you , but the work load had me on the road for days at a time with no time to relax and share .

True.  Then what use is the argument that eating meat is akin to believing in slavery?

The idea is to recognize that what you are doing is harmful to life even as it may preserve life  .

I can see your slippery slope argument and see what you are getting at.

But that is the problem of extreme positions.  After awhile they just get ridiculous.

All things are either sublime or ridiculous , it is the perspective of the observer that makes the position one or the other . It is equally ridiculous to say that something is all love when it does evil

I would believe that people who are cruel to one form of life would potentially be cruel to other humans.  After all, they are cruel, so its pretty likely cruel people will be cruel.

But you seem to lump all people who eat chickens into the category of being cruel.  That is a very broad and inaccurate assessment.

I lump nothing , If one is cruel to life , one is cruel and that cruelty will find expression in all or most of the rest of your activities .

[quote]I would never kill a chicken personally and would get no pleasure from doing so.  So I do not see how I am cruel for eating chicken.  Unless you think eating any living thing is cruel, which is a bit extreme.

But you are benefiting from the cruelty done to the chicken . How are you not as responsible as the actual murder of the chicken ?

[quote]I am human and I have made certain decisions about how I conduct life.  I made a promise to myself that I would never intentionally harm another person.  This promise has nothing to do with whether I eat meat, whether I am a Christian or not, or even whether I am Black or not.  I made a decision on how I would live life.

While this may be true , one may unknowingly contribute to the creation and  continuation of evil by obeying unjust laws tacitly or implicitly through you actions or inactions .

[quote]Now, I cannot vouch for others.  You may be right that there is a slippery slope where some people may start treating humans like chickens, but I think that falls into the category of extremists.  And you have extremists at both ends.

You could go down the route that humans are animals and therefore its okay to treat them like animals and therefore enslave them or even eat them... or you could go down the route that animals are just like humans and should be treated like humans and not eat them and give them more rights.  Those are the two ends of the extreme points of view.

Personally I will not entertain extreme ideas because I believe the truth lies somewhere in between.

What you describe is the extremists.  I happen to not be one of those.  I am not perfect, but I try to stay balanced.

And I can only vouch for myself.  What others believe and do, that is what they do, not what I do.

I think it really comes down to the promise I made to myself a long time ago, after being hurt and seeing other people be hurt.  I promised to never harm another human being.  It is that promise that I hold myself account to.  And if I do not keep that promise, then I am not being true to myself.

Extreme or balance is a matter of culture time and place , as the 1800 century Europeans  thought  it extreme to bathe more than twice a year  .
You may consider yourself balance by todays standards , but are you balance by eternal standards ?
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 11:27am

Extreme or balance is a matter of culture time and place , as the 1800 century Europeans  thought  it extreme to bathe more than twice a year.
You may consider yourself balance by todays standards , but are you balance by eternal standards?

Interesting question.

Of course, I am not balanced according to outside standards.  Christians would find me unbalanced.  Atheists would find me unbalanced.  Buddhists would find me unbalanced.  Hindus would find me unbalanced. Muslims would find me unbalanced.  Jews would find me unbalanced.  Et cetera. Et cetera.

Why?  Because I take the best of what I learn and observe and try to apply it.

Most people subscribe to their set of beliefs and refuse to look at anything else.  They get so entrenched in their positions that they cannot learn anything new because they are so sure they already know the truth.  And this statement applies to both atheists and religious people... and even secular people.  If you think you already know the truth, you will never learn.

I am here to grow and learn and expand myself, even if that means looking at things that are foreign to me.

And I am student of history, so I am well aware of standards of the past, many of those standards we would be appalled at today.

I really don't care about other people's standards, whether they be ones from the past or the present.  What I care about it being the best I can and making a positive difference in the world.

I may not be balanced, although I try to be.  But I am definitely more open minded than most Christians and Atheists who refuse to look outside the their belief system.
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version