CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

News Main Menu 

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
News, Current Events & Politics
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : News, Current Events & Politics
Message Icon Topic: How to Make People Hate Your Country Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
Related Article

How to Make People Hate Your C
Or How to Make Them Love Your
By Scott M. Stolz

After reading many discussi

Read Full Article

This topic is for discussing the above article or page. Click here to see what is being discussed.

Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Online Status: Offline

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Topic: How to Make People Hate Your Country
    Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 5:36am
After reading many discussions where people were defending their country against people who disliked their country, I thought I should write about how to represent your country in a way that makes people love your country. 

There will always be people who dislike your country.  It doesn't matter how good your country is, its a fact of life.  Usually these people are misinformed about something, or they are looking at one issue and making a broad generalization which is inaccurate.

There is a positive way to respond and there is a negative way to respond.  The positive way converts people to like your country because they start to see your country in a new and positive light.  The negative way just makes them angrier and worse, makes other people who used to like your country not like it anymore.

First I will address what NOT to do, and then I will address what is better.

How to Make People Hate Your Country Angry
  • Insist that your country has no flaws, is perfect, or otherwise better than every other country.  Be arrogant and feel that your country is better than everyone else's.
  • Put down other people's countries.
  • Attack people who say your country is not good.  Or worse, personally attack the person saying it (i.e. attack the person instead of dealing with the facts).
  • Assume that everything that they say bad about your country is an attack on your country.
  • Take it personally.  Assume that everything that they say bad about your country is an attack on you or your friends.
  • Be mean, attacking or argumentative when responding to them.  If they take the low road, stoop down to their level.
  • Refuse to be their friend, tell them to leave, or otherwise make them feel not welcome.
  • Have your intention be: to win the argument.
  • Have little or no respect for people who say something bad of your country.
  • Let your emotions and anger guide your words and don't think about how it will make other people feel.

How to Make People Love Your Country Heart
  • Acknowledge that your country is not perfect but is still a great place.  Present why your country is a great place despite problems.  Acknowledge that all countries have problems and that all countries are great in their own ways.
  • Be proud of your country, but do not put down other people's countries.
  • If they are saying they dislike your country because of specific reasons, respond to their reasons with logic and facts.
  • If their facts are wrong or lopsided (i.e. saying your country is a bad country because of crime, yet ignoring the fact that their country has a worse crime rate), present those facts.
  • Don't take everything they say personally.  If they say your country is bad, they are not saying you are bad.  Most likely they are saying some people or some things are bad, and don't realize they are lumping you and everything else in with what is bad.
  • Separate what they think is bad from the rest of the country and make them see that perhaps one area is bad, but that does not mean everything is bad.
  • If they are being mean, attacking or argumentative, never stoop to their level.  If you are mean, attacking or argumentative, you become just like them, which reflects poorly on your country.  If you take the high ground, they will be the one who look like a jerk if they said something inappropriate.
  • Make them feel welcome even though you disagree with them.
  • Have your intention be: to resolve the issue and make new friends.
  • Respect all people, and treat all people with respect, even those who disagree with you or who currently think bad things of your country.
  • Think about what you are about to say before you say it, and ask yourself if it will make a positive difference or a negative difference.  If your goal is to make a positive difference, make sure your words will do that.  Its not necessarily what you say, but how you say it. 

Your response to someone's criticism of your country is MORE IMPORTANT than anything else.  If you want people to like your country, it is VITAL that you respond in a positive way.  Otherwise you just wind up making more enemies.

So when someone is attacking your country by saying bad things, be good to them and look to resolve the issue.  Even if they do not like your country after the interaction, they will at least respect you for being a kind, nice person who respects them.  And anyone listening will have respect for you and your country as well.

Edited by Scott - 08 Feb 2007 at 9:57am
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 6:20am
I decided to post this as an article on the website since it applies to all people.  You can find the article here:

How to Make People Hate Your Country
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Alize
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote Alize Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 7:20am
Great!!!! I Am Proud to be a Virgin Islander
* The most important thing in
IP IP Logged
msjoy
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Conch Republic United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote msjoy Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 3:16pm
HappyThank you , we all came from the same ship and are caribbean people. Out of the Mother Country AFRICA. Let show other that we can live in unity. Love YOU ALL.ClapParty%20Hat

Edited by msjoy - 26 Feb 2007 at 8:12am
IP IP Logged
belizexp
Mate
Mate
Webmaster of BelizeXP.com

Belize.gif, 0 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote belizexp Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2007 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by msjoy

HappyThank you , we all came from the same sjip and are caribbean people. Out of the Mother Country AFRICA. Let show other that we can live in unity. Love YOU ALL.ClapParty%20Hat

ClapBRAVO....BARVO...
IP IP Logged
Duck Sauce
Administrator
Administrator

pirate-flag-small.gif, 0 kB

Quote Duck Sauce Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 1:37am
Nice article.  I wish more people knew that their behavior was counter-productive.
"One person can make a difference, one person can change the world, but you must choose to do so. You must make the future or others will make it for you." -J. Michael Straczynski
IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 11:22am
I am proud to be an Arubian..Smile...I love my Country ....and I will try to defend my countrySmile
But if my people are wrong....they are wrong...
If my people doing wrong...they are wrong....
If there is something I don't like about my COUNTRY..I'm FREE to complain
AND if there is something I never can forget about my COUNTRY is the Aruban's Flag..

I'm not a MOM, that defends her children, knowing they're doing something wrong.Dry

btw....if I am wrong  feel FREE to correct meOh%20My
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
liac
Mate
Mate

Quote liac Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 11:23am
Vutjebal, in my short time on here, I find you to be a very likable person who's never afraid to speak her mind.  xx
IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 11:38am
liac...first thing I want  to  thank you  for ** replying** or **  PMed**Wink
Well liac  honestly  I've  to thank my boardies too.Wink
and  a Hugfor the person who gives  me **The Big Push** to go on.
liac  I hope that  you'll be more often joining us  on the site and having  soooo  muchhhh  fun  as we do. 
 One  more  time  WELKOM & BONBINIFlowers
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
liac
Mate
Mate

Quote liac Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 11:41am
Originally posted by vutjebal

liac...first thing I want  to  thank you  for ** replying** or **  PMed**Wink
Well liac  honestly  I've  to thank my boardies too.Wink
and  a Hugfor the person who gives  me **The Big Push** to go on.
liac  I hope that  you'll be more often joining us  on the site and having  soooo  muchhhh  fun  as we do. 
 One  more  time  WELKOM & BONBINIFlowers

Thank you! Embarrassed
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version