CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Cayman Islands
 Main Menu 

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Monday, September 01, 2014 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Cayman Islands Forum
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Country-Specific Forums : Cayman Islands Forum
Message Icon Topic: Jazz Fest Enraptures Cayman Post Reply Post New Topic
caymanian
Boatswain
Boatswain

Online Status: Offline

Cayman-Islands.GIF, 0 kB

Quote caymanian Replybullet Topic: Jazz Fest Enraptures Cayman
    Posted: 30 Nov 2007 at 5:19am
Jazz Fest Enraptures Cayman
Published on Friday, November 30, 2007 Email To Friend    Print Version

Critiques say Mike Phillips marks a new chapter in the jazz music scene.

You can feel it in the air… that unmistakable sense of heightened anticipation Finally, the long wait is over. The stage has been set for the biggest musical event of the year – Cayman Jazz Fest 2007.
This weekend, all eyes are on the Cayman Islands as internationally- acclaimed artists and the Islands’ well-loved local acts come together to create a musical experience like no other.

“It is thrilling to have people from around the world come together to share beautiful music in the stunning setting of the Cayman Islands,” says Monty Alexander, a featured artist who has impressed the likes of Frank Sinatra and has performed alongside Natalie Cole.

Born and raised in Jamaica, Monty perfectly blends his roots with American Jazz traditions. Monty shares, “Jazz is my life’s journey. It grew on me as I started associating it with people I admired both in Jamaica and the U.S. My music is the melting pot of my Jamaican rhythm and vibe as well as my involvement with the jazz community. I refer to it as ‘one love’.”

Monty is set to mesmerise the audience at Pageant Beach tonight along with the iconic singer Chaka Khan, Musiq Soulchild, Gary Ebanks Quartet + 2 and Notch & Club Dred. “The Cayman Jazz Fest is a wonderful opportunity for people to admire and appreciate artistry, craftsmanship and excellence of Jazz, which is the highest form of American music and the peak of musical expression for many genres like rhythm and blues, bossanova, rock n’ roll and hip hop,” Monty says.

Coming back for his second Jazz Fest after a highly successful and well-received performance last year is New York native Mike Phillips. “With the message being broadcasted in all ports and reaching 25 million homes, I am looking forward to performing for a bigger crowd this year,” says Mike, who promises to give a complete experience of jazz - from bebop, smooth jazz, contemporary jazz and even hip hop.

“Prince and Stevie Wonder are my mentors. They gave me ideas on how to go about my performance and from them I have learned not to be a one-dimensional musician,” Mike shares. With Mike always having new songs and different ways of playing musical pieces, audiences have learned to expect the unexpected from him.

Mike will share the stage this Saturday night with Grammy nominee Brian McKnight, Bebe Winans, Joe. KK Alese and Impulz. “Jazz is the music that reaches the soul and performing it in one of the best destinations on earth equals to one of the most fascinating cross pollinations there is,” Mike says.
Initialised by the Department of Tourism, the Fourth Annual Cayman Jazz Fest has begun captivating audiences last night at the Westin Casuarina Resort with performances from Dianne Reeves, Alex Bugnon and Triple Play. Gate Prices for Friday, November 30 and Saturday, 1 December are at CI $55.

kristel@caymannetnews.com

I'm alive, it's a good day.Cel
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version