Do not miss the fully restored Fort Oranje. Built by the French in 1629, enlarged and named by the Zeelanders in 1636.
In the Fort Courtyard there a number of fascinating memorials:
Michiel Adriaanz de Ruyter - Dutch
Admiral on Statia May 11 - 17 1665, erected in 1907.
Copper plaque commemorating the salute to the American Man of War, "Andrew Doria" November 16, 1776. Presented by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on December 12, 1939.
World War II Memorial erected on May 4, 1957
Bicentennial plaque donated by the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands
The 18th Century Government's Guesthouse was restored in 1992, and the building officially opened with the unveiling of the plaque by Queen Beatrix on November 16, 1992.
Fort de Windt
Sources do not show when Fort de Windt was built, though it was presumably constructed during the command of Jan de Windt between September 1753 and January 1775.
Dutch Reformed Church Visti the Ruinsof Dutch Reform Church (consecrated November 2, 1755). In 1981, the ruins were preserved to prevent further deterioration and the tower fully restored. In 2000 minr repairs were done on the tower, walls, windows, doors and balcony.
The are a number of ruins at the Lower Town. Building around the bay began about the middle of the 18th century. The ruins date back mostly to the early to mid-seventeen hundreds. Drive along the bay road and try to imagine the scene in the 18th century.
Fort Amsterdam, more correctly called Concordia, at the North-East of the island. Fort Amsterdam is located on the Atlantic Ocean side of St. Eustatius, near a cliff overlooking Bargine Bay and Great Bay. The earliest historical map of Statia to locate Battery Concordia is a French map which presumably dates to late November or December of 1781, after the recapture of the island from the English by the French. A much later 1874 map made Grevelink is another source locating Concordia Battery but idetifies it as well as all batteries as "vervallen battrey" (in ruins).
Lynch Plantation Museum
Lynch Plantation Museum is the only domestic museum in the Dutch Caribbean displaying a remarkable collection of household artifacts and antiques. Located on the North-eastern side of the island.