CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Recipes Main Menu 

Related Forums 
 Caribbean Cooking
 & Recipes Forum 
 International Cooking
 & Recipes Forum 
 Recipe Comments 
 Other Forums 

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Thursday, November 21, 2019 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Recipe Comments
 CaribbeanChoice : Food, Cooking & Dining : Recipe Comments
Message Icon Topic: Pastelles Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Related Recipe

Pastelles
Recipe

Put cornmeal into mixing bowl, add chopped butter, oil and seasonings. Pour in boiling water, and quickly blend using a round-edged knife. (test between fingers; when pressed together, it must be s... >>> Read More...

Read Complete Recipe (includes ingredients and method)

This topic is for discussing the above recipe. Click here to see what is being discussed.

tikitiah
Lurker
Lurker

Online Status: Offline

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote tikitiah Replybullet Topic: Pastelles
    Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 12:00am
Pork not beef! Where's the shredded/grated/cuisinarted plantains/green bananas. This was a travesty. Banana leaves vs. ti leaves (Hawaiian Island Puerto Rican background) is debatable, however the cornmeal without any banana base is not! And, where did the thyme come from! Very disappointed. Did make an allowance for the beef vs. pork issue and "the juice wasn't worth the squeeze". Basic oomph to recipe is from the indentation filled with meat (pork best) cooked in (better than you offered) sofrito and garnished by an OLIVE. Raisins are heresy, though allowable for Argentinians, in my family (Montihos from Ponce)! I remained shocked!

Tumwater, WA
IP IP Logged
weezie
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

New-York.gif, 0 kB

Quote weezie Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2005 at 12:00am
Hallacas (or ayacas)

Mostly made in South America & dutch/other caribbean islands ...This version might not be as popular in PR; but it's 'pastelles' nonetheless. "Anything" wrapped in a banana leaf, plantain leaf, corn husk (or aluminum foil, for the deprived of tropical resources) is called 'pasteles'...

IP IP Logged
Drizznjaxx
Lurker
Lurker

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote Drizznjaxx Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 12:00am
Oh My!!!

This is not a traditional Pasteles Recipe. We Puertoricans don't use cornflour in our pasteles we use plantains!! I don't know who came up with this recipe but to me this sounds like a recipe for Tamales. PLEASE SOMEONE SUBMIT THE CORRECT INFO. I was completely baffled when I read this recipe.
IP IP Logged
jhkl
Lurker
Lurker

Quote jhkl Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 12:00am
Good Job.

This IS an authentic pastelle recipe unlike previously stated. Life is infact BIGGER than Puerto Rico and this is how pastelles are made in the southern Caribbean, specifically Trinidad...by way of Venezuela. Please no small minded individuals.
IP IP Logged
creativity73
Lurker
Lurker

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote creativity73 Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 12:00am
Not a typical Puertorican Pastel

Sorry but I have to agree, it may be typical in Trinidad and Venezueal, but this is a forum for Puertorican recipes, and this recipe doesn't even resemble our recipe, which consist of green bananas, yautias, and calabasas for the pastel and the filling is made with pork....
IP IP Logged
Carindian
Lurker
Lurker

Honduras.gif, 0 kB

Quote Carindian Replybullet Posted: 23 Dec 2006 at 12:00am
Response to the reviewers:

You in this forum made me join Caribbean Choice. I was just leafing through these recipes and I found your interesting threads. What is all the fussing about if they are called pastelles and are made with corn meal??? That is the good thing about recipes they CHANGE over time...hopefully for the better. I understand a bit of the frustration when looking for a "true/traditional recipe. Last week I was trying to make "conkies" which is a TRADITIONAL Bajan dish...and as I recall it is made with cornmeal, pumpkin and sweet potato. Lo and behold, I foudn a TRADITIONAL recipe that says it is made with only RIPE PLANTAINS. By the way...for you saavy "puerto ricans" this conkie is much like a TAMALE...except it is entirely sweet. Though the other "conkie" is much like your PASTELLE with the plantain...but of course it is also sweet. So you see....recipes sometimes do get lost in translation. And one last word...to add to the confusion....all these tamales, pasteles, conkies, dunkanoos...all of these are TRADITIONAL WEST AFRICAN dishes...OR a variation thereof...FELICIDADES A Todos!

Honduras
IP IP Logged
El Gringo Loco
Lurker
Lurker

Quote El Gringo Loco Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2007 at 12:00am
noooooooooo

Yes, it's a wide world, but the boriquas are right. These are NOT Puerto Rican pastelles, so why post the recipe under the Puerto Rican flag? These are more like tamal cubanos, but those, too are better made with pork, and use corn husks in place of leaves. Tikitiah is right, "shocked" and "disappointing" are good comments.

Nueva York
IP IP Logged
YESSENIAMAMI
Lurker
Lurker

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote YESSENIAMAMI Replybullet Posted: 25 Sept 2007 at 12:00am
OK...WELL IF LIKE IS SOOOO MUCH BIGGER THAN PR THAN WHY IS PR KNOWN PASTELLES AND WHY THE HELL IS THERE A PR FLAG UP THERE...ONCE AGAIN. THIS ISN'T A PASTELLES RECIPE...MAYBE IF IT CAME FROM THE SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN...MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE PUT THERE FLAG UP THERE

NY NY
IP IP Logged
YESSENIAMAMI
Lurker
Lurker

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote YESSENIAMAMI Replybullet Posted: 25 Sept 2007 at 2:00pm
YEAH...WHATEVER

I'M A PUERTORIQUENA AND THIS IS NOT CORRECT. PLEASE...I SHOULD KNOW. WE PUERTORIQUENAS USE MALANGA AND YUATIA AND PLATANOS TO USE AS A DOUGH LIKE SUBSTANCE...NOT CORNMEAL...WERE NOT CENTRAL AMERICAN. WERE CARIBBEAN SO WE USE CARIBBEAN INGREDIENTS. I DON'T CARE WHERE THIS RECIPE CAME FROM BUT THIS ISN'T A PASTELLES RECIPE!!!! I'LL TAKE MATTERS INTO MY OWN HANDS AND SUBMITT THE RIGHT RECIPE

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS NY
IP IP Logged
YESSENIAMAMI
Lurker
Lurker

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote YESSENIAMAMI Replybullet Posted: 25 Sept 2007 at 3:00pm
I'M DISGUSTED!!!

WAH!!!!! THIS IS A TOTAL DISGRACE!!!! THESE ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO PASTELES...PORK NOT BEEF...PORK NOT BEEF!!! ANOTHER THING...WHAT THE HELL IS THE CORNMEAL USED FOR? BANANA LEAVES IS THE CORRECT WAY TO WRAP THEM. THIS IS VERY SHAMEFUL.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version