CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Monday, April 22, 2019 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Religion, Theology & Spirituality
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Religion, Theology & Spirituality
Message Icon Topic: This is why I am not a Christian! Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
world42
Mate
Mate

Online Status: Offline

pirate-flag-small.gif, 0 kB

Quote world42 Replybullet Topic: This is why I am not a Christian!
    Posted: 30 Oct 2003 at 6:49am

Can you believe this guy?!?!?!  Some idiot preacher from a Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas wants to build a memorial celebrating the murder of a gay man! 

Pastor glories in death of gay student

Baptist minister launches crusade for homophobic statue in home town to 'celebrate' martyr's murder

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1066215,00.html

He even has a website called http://www.godhatesfags.com/ where he quotes the Bible and preaches hate.

This is why I am not a Christian because of the hate and injustice that Christianity preaches!  This is outrageous!

I, somehow, don't think that God will approve... no matter what the Bible says.  And if the Christian God is that really hateful, then I don't want to follow such a God.  I will follow a God who is loving and caring and forgiving, not a God who thinks sinners should be killed and brutalized. 

What about forgiving people of their sins?  What about letting God judge people?

Apparently the God I believe in more forgiving and loving than the God that this preacher believes in.

Edited by world42
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2003 at 9:13pm
Don't let one bad apple spoil your whole barrel.  Just because one person is that way, doesn't mean they all are.
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
trinid
Landlubber
Landlubber

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote trinid Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2003 at 4:46am
Your response also seem so hateful, especially on the account of one ignorant person.  Connot be blamed for one silly persons behaviour.  People does all sort of evil things in the name of God.  People are people and they have their own opinion and they do things on what they believe.  That does nt mean that it is in the bible.  The GOD of the bible is not like this man.  And no matter what he says he is not reoresenting God.  God is a God of mercy and that goes across the board.  God love unconditionally and no matter what a person does he is loves of God.  God does not like the wrong that people and just as the justice system people will be judged for what they have done, the only difference is that God is a fair judge.   The bible is there for anyone to read and understand under the guidance of the one who wrote it.    It is a shame that people behave badly and then blame God  for it.    Life is choice driven and we live or die by the choices we make.  World42  donot allow this man to keep you from a really wonderful relationship with a all loving God.  He is worth being given a chance to be known by you.   

Edited by trinid
IP IP Logged
Duck Sauce
Administrator
Administrator

Quote Duck Sauce Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2003 at 6:15am

Originally posted by trinid

...no matter what he says he is not representing God.  God is a God of mercy and that goes across the board.  God loves unconditionally and no matter what a person does he is loved by God.

Amen.

"One person can make a difference, one person can change the world, but you must choose to do so. You must make the future or others will make it for you." -J. Michael Straczynski
IP IP Logged
world42
Mate
Mate

Quote world42 Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2003 at 7:23pm

Yeah, I was a little angry when I wrote that.  It just frustrates me that some people can be so ignorant and hurtful and use God's name in vain like that.

I doubt he really knows God or has any clue about what He is all about.

IP IP Logged
trinid
Landlubber
Landlubber

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote trinid Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2003 at 11:46pm
Hey believe me, it gets to me also.    Keep the faith, the difference is when those that know differently act out what they know it makes a difference.  No matter how small it may seem. 
IP IP Logged
coviepresb

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote coviepresb Replybullet Posted: 18 July 2004 at 9:41pm

I am a Christian, and I too despise that uncharitable action of Fred Phelps (the Baptist preacher noted in the article).  I can understand your anger world42.  One news reported did an expose on Mr. Phelps who reminds me of a Saddam-like father. 

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/michael_haggerty/ex pose3.htm

The  Bible says  "You shall know them by their fruit...".  Considering the fruit of Mr. Phelps, it should be easy to see that he is only a nominal Christian.

However, just as I do not support uncharitable acts, I do not support homosexuality or bisexuality as the Bible does not support either of those.

IP IP Logged
Duck Sauce
Administrator
Administrator

Quote Duck Sauce Replybullet Posted: 19 July 2004 at 5:47am
Originally posted by coviepresb

I am a Christian, and I too despise that uncharitable action of Fred Phelps (the Baptist preacher noted in the article).  I can understand your anger world42.  One news reported did an expose on Mr. Phelps who reminds me of a Saddam-like father. 

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/michael_haggerty/ex pose3.htm

The  Bible says  "You shall know them by their fruit...".  Considering the fruit of Mr. Phelps, it should be easy to see that he is only a nominal Christian.

I just read the first six chapters of that. 

Why am I not surprised?

"One person can make a difference, one person can change the world, but you must choose to do so. You must make the future or others will make it for you." -J. Michael Straczynski
IP IP Logged
Halima
Landlubber
Landlubber

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote Halima Replybullet Posted: 10 June 2005 at 4:40pm

Unfortunately, a lot of people (both believers and unbelievers) tend to forget that Christianity is a lifestyle and not a religion.  You surrender your life to God through Jesus Christ and you allow the Holy Spirit to work through you. 

Of course, we as Christians are NOT perfect (though there are some that think they are).  And you have those that will use the Bible to persecute you while living in a lifestyle of sin themselves.  How easily we forget that God views all sin the same (whether it's being bitter or stealing).  And His Word emphasizes that it is those that practice such things that will not inherit the kingdom.

So if you are at a place in your life where you are sincerely attempting to live righteous and seeking Him on a daily basis, He knows your heart and will work with you right where you are.  A lot of misconception with Christianity that people have is that you have to be "right" before you can come to God.  If that were the case, no one would be able to come in His presence.

Being a Christian is wonderFUL.  If you surround yourself with people of FAITH, you will truly want more that is to offer.  That is the true foundation of Christianity ...faith!  It is shallow minded and holier than thou individuals that add to God's word those things that He never intended for the Christian to endure.

I can go on and on.  I've only began to scratch the surface and don't want to burden you all.  So, I will sign off here.

- Halima

IP IP Logged
Duck Sauce
Administrator
Administrator

Quote Duck Sauce Replybullet Posted: 28 July 2005 at 7:29pm

Even if it is a lifestyle, there are many people who "live the lifestyle" who I would not consider Christians.  Too many fakers out there who either think they know it all or are totaly hypocrits.

It's people like this pastor who lives a Christian lifestyle who makes Christianity look bad.

IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version