1 Large Grreen Pepper Chopped Fine

2 Stalks Celery chopped fine

1 cup grren peas

1 cup beets (optional)

1 large Onion

1 Tsp Mustard

1 Tsp Salt

pepper to taste

Dice Breadfruit, add all ingredients you can use diced 3 hardboiled eggs.

Replies:
Posted By: sandra
Date Posted: 16 Sept 2006 at 10:53pm
Not for me. I do not like breadfrut cooked. I'll eat it roasted, but the salad recipe is a first to me.

Posted By: weezie
Date Posted: 16 Sept 2006 at 11:48pm

Welcome Harmac...

Your recipe just made me nostalgic...

Our neighbor, on the Island has a big old breadfruit tree and she was constanly giving them to us, even though we would hint that we still had some... She use to say: 'It's better than eating so much rice; just get a little codfish'.

I never had it as a salad; like Sandra said we ate it roasted(with a little codfish).

I assume it would be similar to a potato salad?

I haven't seen them in NY...

Thanks for the recipe, very much caribbean.

"The natives of the Pacific Islands are able to preserve http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/african_food_preservers/106801 - breadfruit for up to two years by controlled fermentation. The fruits are cut and immersed in seawater for 24 hours, then removed and piled and covered with palm leaves for an extra 48 hours. After this period the fruits are soft with a strong odour, are squeezed to dough, which is dried and stored. This preservation technique was developed as a means of securing food after hurricanes. This preservation of breadfruit that has advantages of fortifying the starchy nutrient is diminishing due to modern breadfruit canning. The bland taste of breadfruit may find extensive use in blending, mixes and fillers in foods. The first visitors to taste the fruit found its taste and feel similar to that of bread, hence its name".

-------------

Posted By: Alize
Date Posted: 17 Sept 2006 at 7:54am
very interesting...will pass it on to mom..

-------------
* The most important thing in

Posted By: harmac
Date Posted: 17 Sept 2006 at 9:05am
I use to get it in New York at the PR or Latino/philipino stores. Baking them in the oven or slicing them , then frying them in a little olive/butter is another way to go instead of fried potatoes less starch.

Date Posted: 17 Sept 2006 at 9:15am
In my time, there were just two ways to serve breadfruit. Boiled or roasted. Now I'm seeing so many other ways. good. I guess breadfruit will soon be added on menus worldwide.

Anyone ever ate breadnuts? Mmmmmmm. Delicioso.

Posted By: Alize
Date Posted: 17 Sept 2006 at 9:25am
Sandra I probably did, u know our folks gived us stuff to eat and never said what it was, later in life u seem to recall the taste and not the name

-------------
* The most important thing in

Date Posted: 17 Sept 2006 at 9:31am
breadnuts are small, dark-brown nuts grown in a breadfruit. The breadfruit tree and breadnut tree are similar. When the breadnuts are ready to be eaten, the ripe breadfruit falls to the ground. The breadnuts are removed from the breadfruit and cooked with plenty salt. It's a feast...well for me. I love them with a greedy passion.

Date Posted: 17 Sept 2006 at 10:09am

The Breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis), Malayalam: kada-chakkai, Hawaiian: ‘ulu, Indonesian: sukun Tagalog: kolo; is a tree and fruit native to the east Indian Ocean and western Pacific Ocean islands. It has also been widely planted in tropical regions elsewhere. It was first collected and distributed by Lieutenant William Bligh as one of the botanical samples collected by HMS Bounty in the late 18th century, on a quest for a cheap high-energy food source for British slaves in the West Indies.

Breadfruit grows to a height of 20 m. The large and thick leaves are deeply cut into pinnate lobes. All parts of the tree yield latex, a milky juice. This latex is used for boat caulking

The breadfruit dont have a seed, but the breadnut tree does they are different tree's.

http://www.proscitech.com.au/trop/display/bread.htm">

Date Posted: 17 Sept 2006 at 2:23pm
I know there are no seeds in breadfruit, but the breadnut grows inside a fruit like the breadfruit. You can't tell them apart.

Posted By: weezie
Date Posted: 18 Sept 2006 at 10:52am

I still crave for http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/fruitsscientific.htm - Soursop and Sugar Apple.

I saw they had some Bread Nut in the supermarket one day  and I got a laugh attack. The price was similar to an ounce of gold.

We had sooo much of that stuff in my backyard... I think http://www.foodreference.com/html/fjackfruit.html -  Jackfruit is the correct name even though we called them Breadnut...

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sept 2006 at 2:33pm
The way I love breadnuts, I would have paid for the ounce of gold.

Ah, you miss the backyard, eh weezie. Ask your family to send you those things. They can just take the skin off the soursop, dump the rest in a plastic container, freeze it and send it xpress mail if you are in the States. Same with the sugar apple or any other fruit. They can even send you coconut water through the mail. A friend of mine sent a huge jug to her children in the States. It arrived fresh and cold. The children had a feast.

I forgot, weezie. Your family is not in the VI. I guess the xpress thing wouldn't work, huh.

Me, when I start to drink coconut water I can't stop.

Posted By: scrolljoe
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2006 at 2:25pm

While on this topic I'd like to add a few things on the majestic breadfruit. I have had breadfruit trees for a while and they make an interesting study. Firstly there are seeds in the fruit but you can't propagate a tree from them unlike the sister tree, breadnut .Secondly if you watch the green friut you'll see myriads of bumps which in fact are mini breadfruits that eventually mould into one big fruit and disapear as the fruit ripens...that's a tell tale difference between a ripe and green breadfruit.

Like the coconut..very little is wasted from the bread fruit tree which by the way comes in many species and some of which produce fruits that are used primarily for animals.

I have made bread fruit flour which has a lengthy shelf life if kept on sealed container. Used slices in place of potatoes when making stew and are a wonderful substitute for 'french fries '. When thinly sliced
and fried will make 'pringles'take a back seat. Sliced and placed in plactic bags will store for months in the freezer..the only downside is that it must not be allowed to thaw..from the freezer to the pot is the way to go. Recently I experimented with delicious success by frying quarter inch thick slices ..cooling and freezing same. It keeps its flavour when added to rice just before the pot is finished and will not loosen up when added to stews.

From a botanical standpoint it makes an interesting sight as to how the young fruit emerges fron the bracts and the cross fertilization by the male flower which has a penile look and which when dried is lit as a mosquito repellant. So much for the majestic breadfruit that came to our parts thanks to the 'Mutiny on the Bounty'.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2006 at 8:00pm
Have you tried presurves made from that little one thatr drops to the earth before the big fruit, or wine or vinegar made from it also or the semiripe fruit makes a great cake. The leaves is also great for High blood pressure.

Posted By: scrolljoe
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 4:00am

Harmac Greetings. A very interesting post and I have no
doubt that all qualities as mentioned in the post are credible and I dare say the tree and its fruit are nothing short of a marvel. I did ,some while ago, stumble on an booklet that touted the leaves of the breadfruit as having cures for both hypertention and diabetes. Of Caribbean Isles I think that the breadfruit leaf is revered for its properties in Trinidad.

I shall definitely try making preserves from the small fruit as the breadfruit tree is remarkable for shedding
excess fruit as it knows the load it can take to 'full term'. How have times changed ?..as a kid we picked them up by the dozens in the neighbourhood and used them as our cricket balls. The older floks bled the trees for the gum that comes from the milk and used it to trap birds. The young succulent leaves just coming out from the bracts were used as spinage.

Nature has so much to offer if only we had the time to sit back..relax..and watch her do her thing. So much is also lost as we're caught up in the 'off -the-shelf' rush of things that we no longer look at the preparation of food of yesteryear.Guess... having left Eden it's not easy to return. Be that as it may we should document what is still around so that maybe..just maybe , a generation of the future will benefit . Peace.

Print Page | Close Window