Forum Name: Montserrat Forum
Forum Discription: Discussions and Hangout
URL: http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=77655
Printed Date: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:30pm

Topic: Any news about Montserrat ?
Posted By: KIRK
Subject: Any news about Montserrat ?
Date Posted: 03 Sept 2007 at 5:16am
What is the situation in Montserrat . I just wanted to know how is the island doing ?    

Replies:
Posted By: txbebe
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 4:02pm
sorry

Posted By: Shucander
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 2:02am

Clear view of the lava dome at Soufrière Hills Volcano from the south
with the crater rim in the foreground. 7 January 2008. Picture courtesy
of Greg Scott, Caribbean Helicopters.

-------------
I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.

Posted By: Shucander
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 2:04am

Activity at the Soufrière Hills Volcano

Summary report for the period 28 March to 4 April 2008

Measurable activity at the Soufrière Hills Volcano has remained low with no significant change throughout the period and the pause in dome growth continues. No good visual observations were possible during the period due to overcast conditions and the lack of helicoptor support.

Recorded seismic activity remained low with only one rockfall signal.

The recorded sulphur dioxide (SO2) flux rate for the period was lower than during the last reporting period, ranging from a minimum of 382 tonnes per day (t/d) on the 31st of March  to a maximum of 905 t/d on the 29th . The average flux rate for the period was 688 t/d.

Whilst lava extrusion has ceased and the dome may not be actively growing, it remains a large mass of mainly hot lava capable of collapsing or exploding.  The likelihood of this should decrease with time as it slowly cools with no fresh lava extrusion. During heavy downpours  lahar activity in river valleys around the volcano remains a potential hazard.

The alert level remains at 4.

Access to all areas on the southern flanks of the Belham Valley except Isles Bay Hill and the east of the Belham Bridge, is prohibited as is south of Jack Boy Hill to Bramble airport and beyond. The Maritime Exclusion Zone around the southern part of the island extends 4 km off shore from Spanish Point to Roches Yard on the east side of the volcano, 2 km offshore from O’Garras to Sturge Park on the south-west (readers are referred to the risk map, available on the MVO website).

Additional information on the Soufrière Hills Volcano can be found at the MVO website:

http://www.mvo.ms/ -

Print Page | Close Window