Print Page | Close Window

New Age Beliefs ... Spirituality Today

Printed From: CaribbeanChoice
Category: General Discussion
Forum Name: Religion, Theology & Spirituality
Forum Discription: Discussions relating to spirituality, religion, theology, God and the nature of universe.
URL: http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=78259
Printed Date: 27áOctá2020 at 7:37am

Topic: New Age Beliefs ... Spirituality Today
Posted By: Citizen Eve
Subject: New Age Beliefs ... Spirituality Today
Date Posted: 07áJaná2008 at 10:15pm
A contemporary form of spirituality:

New Age is an umbrella term for a wide range of personal and individual beliefs and practices influenced primarily by Eastern religions, paganism, and spiritism.

Ľ Belief in Deity
God is the impersonal life force, consciousness, ultimate truth and reality, the incorporeal, formless cosmic order personified within all people and matter. God is all and all are God.

Ľ Incarnations
Most believe there are no particular incarnations to worship, as all in the universe are embodiments of God.

Ľ Origin of Universe and Life
The universe, life, and matter were not created by God but "are" God. The universe and life emerged out of the creative power of the eternal universal life force.

Ľ After Death
Some believe in continual rebirth--no death--as life is spirit. Some believe that our souls rest for a time before deciding on a new body (or bodies). Heaven and hell are states of consciousness, self-imposed, due to ignorance of God as all.

Ľ Why Evil?
No original sin, no Satan, and no evil. Most believe people make "mistakes" when they are ignorant of the power of goodness, which is God, within themselves and others. Some believe evil is perpetuated through accumulation of past-life wrongs and spiritual ignorance.

Ľ Salvation
Salvation lies in the realization of oneness with the impersonal life force. Awareness can be heightened through methods that induce altered states of consciousness, e.g., hypnosis, meditation, music, drugs. Spiritual "tools" include crystals, tarot cards, amulets, channeling, fortunetellers and psychics. Some believe the salvation of humanity will occur when a critical mass is reached, when people converge in experiencing their oneness with God and with each other. This will bring a New World Order or new Planetary Order, resulting in oneness of civilization and one-world government, peace, and harmony.

Ľ Undeserved Suffering
Suffering is the result of greed, hatred, and spiritual ignorance in a person's, or humanity's, past lifetimes, which returns as suffering (karma). Suffering is sometimes viewed as occurring for a specific purpose, to further spiritual growth and learn a life lesson. Suffering is also seen as illusory, in that it results from attachment to bodily pleasure and pain, and only the universal life force within, God, truly exists.

Ľ Contemporary Issues
Abortion is not condemned, as there is no official doctrine. Generally, adherents are supportive of a woman's right to choose abortion.

Source, Beliefnet.com

-------------
"the time is always ripe to do right", Nelson Mandela.

Replies:
Date Posted: 07áJaná2008 at 10:17pm
"Religion is essentially the art and the theory of the remaking of man," Edmund Burke.

-------------

Date Posted: 24áJaná2008 at 5:32am

What is Spirituality?

The essence of spirituality is the search to know our true selves, to discover the real nature of consciousness. This quest has been the foundation of all the great spiritual teachings, and the goal of all the great mystics.

Throughout the history of humanity it has been said that the self we know -- the individual ego -- is a very limited form of identity. Ignorant of our true selves we derive a false sense of identity from what we have, or what we do -- from our possessions, our role in the world, how others see us, etc. Because the world on which it is based is continually changing, this derived sense of identity is always under threat, and our attempts to maintain it are responsible for much of our "self-centered" behavior.

Behind this identity is a deeper identity, what is often called the "true self". This can be thought of as the essence of consciousness. Although our thoughts, feelings and personality may vary considerably, the essence of mind remains the same. We are each very different people than we were twenty years ago, but still we feel the same sense of "I". This sense of "I-ness" is the same for everyone, and in that respect is something universal that we all share.

When we discover this deeper sense of self we are freed from many of the fears that plague us unnecessarily. We discover a greater inner peace, an inner security that does not depend upon events or circumstances in the world around. As a result we become less self-centered, less needy of the other's approval or recognition, less needy of collecting possessions and social status, and become happier, healthier and more loving people. In many spiritual teachings this is called "self-liberation".

Most spiritual teachings also maintain that when one comes to know the true nature of consciousness, one also comes to know God. If God is the essence of the whole of creation, then God is the essence of every creature, and every person. This is why the search to discover the nature of one's own innermost essence is the search for God.

Author,Peter Russell

-------------

Date Posted: 24áJaná2008 at 5:36am

http://www.wisdomquotes.com/001146.html - Albert Einstein : The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.

-------------

Date Posted: 24áJaná2008 at 5:43am

http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote/mohandas_gandhi_quote_cfb3 - Truth never damages a cause that is just.

-------------

Posted By: June
Date Posted: 24áJaná2008 at 11:45pm
Spirituality is when we have a closer walk with God. In order to become 'self-liberated, we need to realy get close to Him. Star

Posted By: Scott
Date Posted: 25áJaná2008 at 5:21am
I think of religion and spirituality as like a blindfolded person being taken to an elephant, not being told what it is, and asking that the person feel only a specific part of the animal and asking them what it is.

A person feeling the trunk may think its like a snake, the person feeling the tusks might think its like a bone, a person feeling the legs might think its like a tree.

And so it is with God and religion and spirituality.  We all see a piece of it, and we all think we know the truth.  But just like the people feeling different parts of the elephant, even though each is correct in their own observations, they do not have the whole picture... yet often think they do.

A wise man knows whatever his beliefs are... that they are wrong and incomplete.  As soon as you start thinking you know the truth, you stop learning. A wise man knows he is ignorant.  An ignorant man thinks he is wise.

-------------
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
http://www.wistex.com/ - WisTex | http://www.completehostingguide.com/ - Complete Hosting Guide

Posted By: vutjebal
Date Posted: 25áJaná2008 at 8:40am
For me.....Spirituality.....is and always will  be a nice Topic to discuss. http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?media=http%3A%2F%2Fi241.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fff64%2FKaetli%2FSmiley%2Fangel.gif&searchTerm=smiley%20angel&pageOffset=0">angel

-------------
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.

Date Posted: 25áJaná2008 at 4:29pm
One has to do a deep inner searching of the soul to find that self-liberation. In order to become truly liberated, I agree with the author when he said that we will then get closer to God. For we as individuals have three selves:

The self that we know - this self becomes wiser as we grow older. It changes the way that we see life with each matured experience.

The self that others think that they know - This is the assumption that others have of us. That is why so many people pretend. They always want to "look good." This is the self that others "judge," based on their observation of us.

The self that only God knows - We ourselves do not know this part of us. God knows it because He is able to read our hearts and minds. When we think that we are not able to do something, God has more confidence than we have. He is able to "bring out" and use this part of us to do His will. No matter how "bad" society may think we are, God who knows the heart, finds all of His 'sheep'.

Date Posted: 26áJaná2008 at 7:56am

Truth, reality, science, spirituality, etc like all human experiences have a long history (oral & recorded) and have changed over time and within cultures ... and that includes our idea of God and Spirituality.

The three dominant monotheistic religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam have all shaped and influenced the concept of God today ... a revolutionary idea at the time since our ancestors experience was one of pagan idol worship and multiple gods.

This revolutionary idea of one god was shaped to suit the social and political needs of the followers ... we have comes through eras of classicism & philosophy, Medieval mysticism, the Reformation, the Enlightenment and the modern age of skepticism ... all have played their part in giving meaning to people's lives.

As Michael Lerner, author of "The Politics of Meaning" argues ... a progressive politics of meaning is agnostic on whether its goals can be achieved in the capitalist market ... the unfettered market does not have adequate mechanism for taking into consideration the interest of future generations  ... we need a world plan that ensures that resources are not depleted and the environment is preserved and defended against plundering of resources that the market generates. Humility is critical in the mix as it reminds us of the sanctity of human beings. We cannot lose sight of certain efficiency of some market mechanism. Markets can spur creativity that might be frustrated by the longer time that it takes to influence a democratic process.

Ah ... conversations ... whats the discussion about again? Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 26áJaná2008 at 8:51am
What we really need, are the times when religion and government relied solely on God.

The modern prophets, philosophers, research scientist, and electronic technologists, should see to use their 'upgraded' knowledge, to enhance what the ancestors 'humbly' did, by the use of God's grace.  Ouch

"Capitalist markets" and "revolutionary ideas", are all in the bible book of Proverbs. They can all 'borrow' from the Wisest Man who ever lived!

Date Posted: 26áJaná2008 at 10:52am

I hear you. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 26áJaná2008 at 1:09pm
Proverbs 8:1

"Does not wisdom keep calling out, and discernment giving forth its voice?"
Pro. 8;12

"I, wisdom, I have resided with shrewdness and I find even the knowledge of thinking abilities..."

I like the part of the scriptures that they fulfilled, however, that their will be an increase in knowledge. That is how we enjoy music with all of the various instruments and various MP3's that the young people crave.
 we also enjoy the many types of cars introduced every year, that is if we can afford them. There is modern technology even in health care, like Mommograms, X-Rays, and such to detect if something is about to go physically wrong. This is the way they should use their knowledge, to help people. The small man does not understand revolutionary anything. Star

Date Posted: 26áMayá2008 at 2:11am

Good Karma .. Bad Karma

Karma is one of the West's best known Eastern Mystical concepts, even featuring in popular songs by John Lennon (Instant Karma), David Bowie (Karma Man), and Culture Club (Karma Chameleon) among others.

Some years ago the then England football manager Glenn Hoddle, a genuinely Spiritual man, was sacked for an ill-considered remark that disabled people were paying for the sins of past lives.

Definition of Karma

Karma is simply the process of cause and effect. If you do A, B will happen. If you plant tomato seeds, and water and look after them, tomatoes will grow.

whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap St Paul, Galatians 6-7

Before we are born in this world we decide, while still in the realms of Spirit and along with our higher guides, the lessons we shall pursue here. Spirit helps us pursue these lessons by creating the conditions necessary for us to receive our chosen experience.

Karma is not about punishment. In Spirit there is no absolute right or wrong. It is about experience and fulfillment of purpose. The idea that we are punished for sins is a man-made form of social control. A highly advanced soul may choose to incarnate into a crippled body, or as an insect, if that is beneficial to their progress.

Working with Karma

Karma influences our current life in two ways. First, we carry karma as part of our life conditions, though not all of our conditions are karmic in origin. Karma is the part of our conditions that represents unfinished business and other residues from the past. Second, we create future karma continually with every thought and action.

As an individuated part of Spirit there will be particular areas of growth necessary for our personal evolution. There are also areas in which we may best contribute to the growth of Spirit in its totality. Sometimes karma thrusts us into diametrically opposite conditions than we previously experienced.

The first step in dealing with existing karma is awareness and acknowledgment of it. Are there any themes that seem to recur throughout your life? Nothing happens by chance. Recurrent themes suggest the hand of karma. These recurrent themes are telling you they are providing conditions for some necessary life experience.

This experience may be obvious to you, but where it is not you may need to ask Spirit for guidance through prayer, meditation, or through your dreams.

Once you understand the karmic themes of your incarnation you can start working with them, ie swim with the tide rather than against it. If you find it hard to acquire or hold money, you need to practice good money management. If you find it hard to make friends you need to be that bit nicer to othersů If you're not sure how to work with your karma, ask for guidance and be open to the answers.

The second aspect of karma is that it is being created all the time. Every act of will, every thought, is a karmic act. By acting in accordance with our Spiritual purpose in particular and Spiritual principles in general ("thy will be done") we create good karma for tomorrow. But good karma doesn't mean material success, it is concerned with Spiritual progress and making one's soul available to more advanced lessons rather than continually repeating grade 1.

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you Matthew 7-120

Karma works at a more immediate level by returning to you what you give to others. There's nothing particularly mystical about this. If you're friendly to others, you receive friendship. If you're generous, people are more inclined to be generous to you.

Karma and Luck

Luck is the quality that seems to attract good things to some people and repel them from others. But is luck real, or all in the mind?

To some degree luck is an illusion, or simply a matter of how you look at life. Say someone won $10,000 on the lottery, but just missed the jackpot by one number. Some woul consider themselves lucky to get $10,000, while others would be cursing their misfortune not to win a million. If you find yourself cursing your luck, take time to count your blessings. You will find they are many.

The "other man's grass is greener" syndrome also distorts our perception of luck. Human nature tends to notice others' good fortune and our own bad. In fact everyone has their share of problems, burdens, challenges, and blessings too, to lighten the load. The key here is to focus upon your own pathway.

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players Shakespeare

Having said all that, luck as a manifestation of karma, is real. Some people do attract money jobs, the right partnerů That is part of their conditions for this particular lifetime. All we can do is try to recognize our own particular conditions and to operate to the maximum within these. If you're unlucky at gambling, don't gamble, or if you do make sure the amounts involved are insignificant.

-------------

Date Posted: 12áJulyá2009 at 9:05am
Church of Scientology ... am very curious about its beliefs ... are any CC folks members ... share your thoughts ... 

-------------

Date Posted: 12áNová2009 at 6:32pm
It is about being ... being your most authentic self ... being your best possible self every moment of every day ... living the light knowing that you were created in his image ...

-------------

Date Posted: 03áJaná2010 at 1:08am

Am still searching ...

-------------

Posted By: sandra
Date Posted: 03áJaná2010 at 5:25am
Luck is the quality that seems to attract good things to some people and repel them from others. But is luck real, or all in the mind

You #@$%^* luck!!! So you keep repelling yourself from me, huh. You @#$%^&* piece of crap.

-------------
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things

Date Posted: 03áJaná2010 at 12:08pm
Luck is a lot like opportunities I think ... and not recognize by many even if its beating you up ... LOL ... some individuals are better at identifying and using as leverage to get what they want ... a willingness to listen ... learn and grow sure helps ... to be open to new ideas and even other ways of seeing and doing ... never have to embrace but at least give consideration ... Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 03áJaná2010 at 4:54pm
Lady luck need a swift kick on the tailgate.

I've never used the 'preview post'. I think I'll try it next time.

-------------
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things

Date Posted: 04áJaná2010 at 4:53am
Changing your mind a lot today Sandy ... I do that when my mind is faster than my fingers ... Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 04áJaná2010 at 5:52am
Naw, not changing my mind. Making mucho error, typo and spelling and grammar.

-------------

Date Posted: 04áJaná2010 at 6:00pm
Me too ... am embarassed ... but I don't care ... as long as we understand the drift ... right?

-------------

Date Posted: 05áJaná2010 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Citizen Eve

Me too ... am embarassed ... but I don't care ... as long as we understand the drift ... right?

Right!

-------------

Date Posted: 05áJaná2010 at 9:07am
Wink

-------------

Print Page | Close Window