- 4 white bread slices
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound freshly ground lean beef
- 2 slices smoked ham or bacon, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed in garlic press
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fat for frying, heated to 365°F
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Soak bread in milk 5 minutes, then mash and mix with ground beef, minced ham, salt, pepper, garlic, and tomato paste. Roll into walnut-sized balls, coat with flour and then with cheese.
- Fry in heated fat until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot with tomato sauce as a dip.
Note: These meatballs may be made larger for a main course and are usually served with Cornmeal and a salad.