Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 26 hours
- 2 pounds mackarel, kingfish or other firm white-fleshed fish fillets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 small yellow onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Roland white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 4 small carrots, sliced very thin lengthwise
- 4 madame jeanet hot peppers, cut in eights or taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 6 pimento stuffed olives, sliced
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- In large skillet, fry fish fillets in butter until golden brown on both sides. Place in earthenware or glass bowl.
- In cleaned or other skillet, sauté sliced onions in oil until golden but not browned. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a oil. Cool.
- Pour over fish and let stand at least 24 hours, covered and chilled.
- Can be served either as a cold appetizer or hot fish course, reheated gently just before serving.