Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 64 oz. water
- 1 lb. shank
- 2 stems celery
- 5 grains pimento
- 1 fresh whole pepper
- 4 oz. pickled meat (option: smoked - or dried fish)*
- 3 - 4 cubes bouillon (depending on the individual taste)
- 2 medium cassavas (about 1 lb.), cut into bite - size cubes
- 1 small whole union
- coconut milk (optional) for a smooth texture.
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Boil the water for ten minutes together with the shank. (Take away any foam that occurs).
- Add to this, the unsalted pickled meat, the whole onion, celery stems, pimento grains, the whole pepper (do not pierce!), and the cassava.
- The soup is ready when the cassava, pickled meat and shank are tender.
- At the end, add the bouillon cubes and as option; the coconut milk.
- Boil for an additional 5 - 10 minutes.