Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
Country: Saint Kitts & Nevis
- 1 pound conch, trimmed, tenderized
- 3 tablespoons strained lime juice
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 hot pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Hot sauce
- Salt, pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- 1. Cut the conch into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add the lime juice and tomato sauce and mix well; set aside to marinate.
- In a large stew pot, cook the bacon until browned.
- Pour off the fat.
- Add the olive oil, onion, celery, garlic, green pepper, and hot pepper.
- Cook over medium-low heat until very lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rum, potatoes, conch mixture, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 1 hour. Potatoes should be tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in the Hot Sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. To serve, sprinkle with fresh cilantro.