Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 3 medium cho-choes/christophene
- 8 ozs. (225 grams) saltfish, boiled and flaked
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. green pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. onion, chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 220°C.
- Pare cho-choes, cut length- wise into halves, remove core
- Par-boil for 5 minutes in water.
- Drain cho-choes and remove flesh until a hollow is created in the centre.
- Combine cho-choes, saltfish, mayonnaise, chopped celery, green pepper, parsley and onion.
- Return mixture to cho-cho cases.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake until done.
Cho-cho is also called Christophene or ehayote in the Caribbean. It is a member of the squash family. It contains approximately 90% water.