Country: United States Virgin Islands
- 2 lbs sweet italian sausage removed from casings
- 5 lbs ground sirloin
- 3 large onions chopped
- 2 medium green bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 medium sweet red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh green roasted scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and minced,
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup white chili powder
- 1 tabelspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 oz dried cilantro leaf
- 3 cans (28 oz) whole tomatoes with tomato puree, undrained
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cans (16oz) pink beans, drained
- 2 cans (16oz) black beans, drained
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
In a large soup kettle, cook the ground round,
sausage, onions, red and green peppers, chili peppers and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring often until meat is seared (but not browned), about 10 minutes. Pour off excess fat. Add the chile powder, salt, oregano, cumin, bay leaves and cilantro and stir for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their puree, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon. Bring to a simmer. Reduced the heat to low and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is reduced, about 1-1/2 hrs. Combine in a small bowl the cornmeal and 1/2 cup of water. Stir the cornmeal mixture and the pink and black beans into the chili. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili is thickened, about 10 minutes.
The chili can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. If desired scrape off and discard the solidified fat that rises to the surface. Reheat chili gently on top of stove before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Caribbean Specialty Foods (Visit their website).