Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 13 minutes
- 1 cup fresh *cassava meal
- 1 1/2 tsps. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. lime juice
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Mix together all dry ingredients, then add egg and sufficient milk to produce a thick batter.
- Stir in oil and lime juice.
- Pour the batter into a well greased 20 cm / 8" frying pan.
- Cook over a moderate heat for about 10 minutes, making sure it does not burn at the bottom, turn over and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Serve cold. This recipe may be made without sugar and can serve as a savoury accompaniment to any meal.
*Cassava is a staple found in Africa and the Caribbean. It has a starchy texture and is used to make the famous Jamaican bammies.