Country: Dominican Republic
- 1 3/4c packed shredded Coconut (Mounds or Bakers brand)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 (to 2/3) cup milk *(to juice-in the coconut)
- 1/2 cup 'butter flavored' Crisco shortening (or 1 sticks of margarine softened)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
Combine coconut, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon almond essence. Set aside.
Blend shortening and sugar for about 1 minute; add egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Combine all dry ingredients and incorporate to the sugar mixture in three portions, making sure each portion is mixed well before adding the next. Dough should be on the sticky side. Drop soup spoonfuls of the mixture on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake in a 350*F oven about 27 minutes or until light brown. Let cool for about 7 minutes and store in an air tight container with a slice of bread to keep them soft and fresh. Replace slice of bread after 48 hours. Taste better next day Yield about 1 1/2 dozen.
*If you can grate your own coconut... More power to you!
If using fresh grated coconut reduce milk to about 1/4 cup and quantity of coconut to 1 1/4 cups.
A disadvantage of using packed coconut: No little pieces or stomps of coconut in the bun.