Preparation Time: 30 min.
Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in small chunks
- 3 fresh tomatoes, peeled and cut in small chunks
- 3 cloves fresh garlic chopped
- 1/2 large red onion chopped
- 3 tbsps. fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes or chopped country pepper - all to taste
- 1-2 stalks chopped celery with leaves .
- Salt and pepper to taste
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Rinse black-eyed peas in colander (to clean), then drain.
- Add enough water to cover beans in three-quart pot.
- Boil, then turn down to medium-low heat for 30 minutes (cook until tender).
- Keep on low heat and add onions, garlic, parsley, celery and seasonings.
- Add tomatoes and sweet potatoes.
- Cook for another 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Other suggested ingredients for variation are: 1 can of corn, chopped red bell peppers.
- You can also add olive oil and/or a dash of vinegar for added flavour.
- Serve over brown rice if desired.
Serve over brown rice if desired.
You can substitute red peas or lentils. Lentils take much less time to cook. Also, use less lentils - about a cup or cup and a half.