Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: Chill Time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 persons
- 2 Cups (1⁄2 Litre) ripe shelled tamarind
- 4 Cups (1 Litre) cold water
- 2 Teaspoons (10 Millilitres) lime juice
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon (2 1⁄2 Millilitres) grated fresh ginger root
- 1⁄2 Cup (112 Grams) brown sugar
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Soak tamarind in 1 litre cold water until soft.
- Rub through a sieve to get pulp off, using the same water in which the tamarind was soaked.
- Add lime juice, grated ginger root and sugar to sweeten. Strain.
For a plain drink, chill and serve. For a bubbly foamy drink, add about 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and serve.