Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 1/4 hours
Serves: 12-14 slices
- 4 Pounds (2 Kilograms) sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 Pound (450 Grams) yellow yam, peeled (optional)
- 3 Packets grace coconut milk powder
- 4 Cups (1 Litre) warm water
- 2 Ounces (60 Grams) grace hello margarine
- 3⁄4 Cup (180 Grams) raisins, soaked
- 1⁄2 Cup (60 Grams) grace cornmeal
- 1⁄2 Cup (60 Grams) flour
- 1 Pound (450 Grams) dark sugar
- 1 Tablespoon (15 Millilitres) mixed spice
- 1 Tablespoon (15 Millilitres) vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon (15 Millilitres) nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon (15 Millilitres) cinnamon powder
- 1 Teaspoon (5 Millilitres) salt
- 1 Cup (250 Millilitres) wine
- 2 Tablespoons (30 Millilitres) rum
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Grate sweet potatoes and yam and set aside. Dissolve Grace Coconut Milk Powder in warm water; melt Grace Hello Margarine and soak the raisins.
- Combine grated sweet potatoes, yam, raisins, Grace Cornmeal, flour and dark sugar in a large pudding pan or a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the Grace Coconut Milk, melted Grace Hello Margarine, mixed spice, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon powder, salt, wine and rum and mix well.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the grated potato mixture and stir well.
- Scrape the mixture in a greased dutch pot lined with banana leaf, pudding pan, or a baking tin and place over a three stone wood fire. Place a flat baking sheet with lit charcoals on top of the baking container.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Sweet Potato Pone may be baked in a pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.