Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 2 Pounds shrimp
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon white pepper
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 Ounces flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon egg powder
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg,beaten
- 1⁄2 Cup water
- 2 Cups Grace Vegetable Oil
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
*SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- Peel and de-vein shrimp, leaving tail on where possible. Wash, drain and season shrimp with salt, white pepper and soy sauce; set aside.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add beaten egg and water, whisk together to form a smooth batter.
- In a frying pan heat GRACE VEGETABLE OIL. Dip shrimp in batter, coating well. Fry in heated oil until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve with sweet and sour sauce*.
1 ½ cups Water
¼ cup GRACE WHITE VINEGAR
4 ozs Sugar
½ cup GRACE TOMATO KETCHUP
2 ozs Ginger, thinly sliced
4 ozs Carrots, sliced
2 Tbsps. Cornstarch
4 ozs GRACE PINEAPPLE SLICES
- 1. In a saucepan combine 315 ml (1 ¼ cup) water, GRACE WHITE VINEGAR, sugar and GRACE TOMATO KETCHUP. Add ginger and carrot slices and bring to a boil.
- Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 60 ml (1/4 cup) water and add to sauce. Whisk briskly to avoid lumping.
- Lower flame and reduce until sauce thickens.
- Drain and dice GRACE PINEAPPLE SLICES and add to sauce. Stir well.
- Spoon over shrimp and serve hot.
METHOD NOTE: The liquid drained from the GRACE PINEAPPLE SLICES may be used as a substitute for the water.
How to de-vein shrimp: Use a small scissors (manicure scissors are quite handy) with a point to slit the back side of the shrimp. As you slit the shells you will cut into the meat a bit exposing the vein. Use the tip of the scissors to lift the vein, then remove with your fingers and discard.
Serve Hot with sweet and sour sauce