Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
Serves: 12 slices
- 1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams) grace hello margarine
- 1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams) dark sugar
- 4 Whole eggs, large
- 1 Pound (450 Grams) cake and pastry flour
- 1⁄4 Pound (120 Grams) breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon (15 Millilitres) baking powder
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon (2 1⁄2 Millilitres) salt
- 2 Teaspoons (10 Millilitres) cinnamon powder
- 1 Teaspoon (5 Millilitres) nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon (5 Millilitres) mixed spice for baking
- 3 Cups (720 Grams) soaked mixed fruits
- 1 Tablespoon (15 Litres) vanilla
- 1⁄2 Cup (125 Millilitres) rum
- 3 Cups (750 Millilitres) red wine
- 3 Tablespoons (45 Millilitres) grace browning
- 1⁄4 Cup (60 Millilitres) peanuts, crushed
- 1 Piece Aluminium Foil
- 8 Cups (2 Litres) water
- 1 Large dutch pot
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Cream Grace Hello Margarine and sugar until creamy and smooth. Add eggs to the creamed mixture one at a time and beat well.
- Combine all dry ingredients: cake and pastry flour, breadcrumbs, baking powder, salt, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, mixed spice and mix well.
- Fold in a third of the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, adding the soaked fruits, vanilla, rum and red wine alternately with the Grace Browning and crushed peanuts. Repeat until all the flour mixture is used up.
- Scrape batter into a greased and lined 10" baking pan.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminium foil. Place dutch pot over medium flame with 8 cups of water and bring to a boil. Place an empty baking pan in the water and then place the cake pan with the mixture on top, ensuring that the water level is below that of the cake.
- Cover the Dutch pot and allow to steam for 1 1/2 hours.
Serve with Butter Brandy Sauce