Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
Serves: 6 servings
- 26 Cups (6 Litres) water
- 2 Cups red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 grace country pride ham bone
- 8 Ounces pigstail (optional)
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Pound yellow yam, peeled, washed and diced
- 1 Pound sweet potato, peeled, washed and sliced
- 1 Can grace coconut milk (400 ml)
- spinners dough
- 1 Packet grcae cock soup mix
- 2 Stalks escallion
- 1 Sprig thyme
- 1 Whole scotch bonnet pepper
- salt (to taste)
- grace caribbean traditions black pepper (to taste)
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Pour water in a large pot, add red peas, ham bone, pigs tail and crushed garlic then bring to a boil.
- Simmer until peas are softened approximately 1 hour.
- Add diced yellow yam, sweet potatoes and Grace Coconut Milk and stir, allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Shape spinners and add to soup.
- Add Grace Cock Soup Mix, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add seasoning and continue to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Add water if necessary to adjust consistency. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
Spinners are made by combining 2 cups flour, ¼ cup GRACE CORNMEAL, ½ tsp salt and enough tap water to bind. Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Break dough into equal pieces, shape and add to soup.